There are 15 postgraduate (PhD only) bursaries to attend the 2018 BISA Conference. No monies will change hands in advance of the conference, BISA will register successful applicants for the conference. These awards only relate to attendance at the main BISA conference, 13th to 15th June 2018. We welcome applications from the 10th January 2018.
- Bursaries are available to current Postgraduate members of BISA, who do not have support from their institution, a research grant or other funding awards, to attend the conference.
- Conference bursary recipients cannot additionally claim funding from the workshop expenses funding, this is to ensure as many Postgraduates as possible have access to some funding support and also to prevent double dipping.
- Applicants should be BISA postgraduate members, at the time of application and conference for which the bursary is awarded.
- Applicants are not eligible for a conference bursary, if you have already completed, or complete your PhD, prior to the conference. This award is not for postdocs.
- Masters students are not eligible for this award, as you are not eligible to present a paper at the conference.
- Applicants must have papers accepted for presentation at the conference and/or workshops it is a condition of the award that papers are submitted by the paper submission deadline.
- The online bursary application form must be accompanied by an supervisor statement, which must be signed and on university headed paper and uploaded to the website.
- The bursary award is £150 per applicant for those registered at UK/EU/European institutions, and £300 per applicant for registered at non UK/EU/European institutions.
- Postgraduates only participating in the workshops are not eligible to apply for a conference bursary as there is separate funding for the workshop expenses.
- No applicant will be supported for more than two conference awards.
- No single institution will be eligible for more than 5 awards in any one year.
Applications should be made by Wednesday 4.00pm 14th February 2018
You will need to collate the following information in order to make your online application:
1 Student Name and institution/ email contact
2 Confirmation of current BISA membership
3 200 word account of your research
4 Are you in receipt of any grants/funding? If so, describe them
5 Title of paper
6 50 word paper abstract/summary
7 Any other role(s) that will you play in the conference
8 200 word letter of support from your institution on university headed paper
Please email any enquiries about the award to the Research Committee chair, Professor Mark Webber, at m.webber.1[at] bham.ac.uk
Apply for Conference Bursary
Amend an Existing Application
How to Claim your bursary expenses
- BISA will not accept claims for mileage and parking, unless there are specific reasons for this, which have been agreed in advance of the conference, and the claims being made.
- The awards are for travel and accommodation only, additional items will not be funded. Where travelling using an Oyster card please provide a download statement with the relevant trips and costs highlighted, generic lump sum top ups cannot be claimed.
- The bursary expenses claims will be paid by bank transfer.
- Claim forms must be support by proper receipts that show VAT where applicable (incl VAT registration number), details of item paid for and the amount paid, online booking receipts should be in the applicants name.
- All claims are to be made promptly after the conference and within 3 months of the event, otherwise funding may no longer be available.
- The applicants should not utilise the same receipts for more than one funding claim, this is fraudulent and may result in the awards being withdrawn.
Please complete an expenses claim form and return it to the BISA office by email with your receipts (clearly scanned images or jpeg are fine). Please ensure your bank details are clearly legible otherwise payments may get misdirected by our bank.