There are 15 postgraduate (PhD only) bursaries to attend the 2019 BISA Conference. No monies will change hands in advance of the conference, BISA will register successful applicants for the conference. These awards only relate to attendance at the main BISA conference, 12th to 14th June 2019. We welcome applications from the 15th January 2019.
- Bursaries are available to current Postgraduate members of BISA, who do not have support from their institution, a research grant, or other funding awards, to attend the conference.
- Applicants should be BISA postgraduate members, at the time of application, and at the conference for which the bursary is awarded.
- Applicants are not eligible for a conference bursary, if you have already completed, or will have completed, your PhD prior to the conference. Postdocs are not eligible.
- Masters students are not eligible for this award.
- Applicants must have papers accepted for presentation at the conference. It is a condition of the award that papers are submitted by the paper submission deadline.
- The online bursary application form must be accompanied by a statement from a supervisor. This must be signed on university headed paper and uploaded to the website.
- The bursary award is £150 per applicant for those registered at UK/EU/European institutions, and £300 per applicant for those registered at non UK/EU/European institutions.
- No applicant will be supported for more than two conference awards.
- No single institution will be eligible for more than 5 awards in any one year.
Applications should be made by 15th February 2019
You will need to collate the following information in order to make your online application:
1 Student Name and institution/ email contact
2 Confirmation of current BISA membership
3 200 word account of your research
4 Are you in receipt of any grants/funding? If so, describe them
5 Title of paper
6 50 word paper abstract/summary
7 Any other role(s) that will you play in the conference
8 200 word letter of support from your institution on university headed paper
Please email any enquiries about the award to the Research Committee chair, Professor Mark Webber, at m.webber.1[at] bham.ac.uk
Apply for Conference Bursary
Amend an Existing Application
How to Claim your bursary expenses
- BISA will not accept claims for mileage and/or parking, unless there are specific reasons for this, which have been agreed in advance of the conference, and the claims being made.
- The awards are for travel and accommodation only. Additional items will not be funded. Where travelling using an Oyster card, please provide a download statement with the relevant trips and costs highlighted. Generic lump sum top-ups cannot be claimed.
- The bursary expenses claims will be paid by bank transfer.
- Claim forms must be supported by proper receipts that show VAT where applicable (incl VAT registration number), details of items paid for, and the amount paid. Online booking receipts should be in the applicants name.
- All claims are to be made promptly after the conference and within 3 months of the event. Failure to do so may result in the funding no longer being available.
- The applicants should not utilise the same receipts for more than one funding claim. This is fraudulent and may result in the awards being withdrawn.
Please complete an expenses claim form and return it to the BISA office by email with your receipts (clearly scanned images or jpeg are fine). Please ensure your bank details are clearly legible otherwise payments may get misdirected by our bank.