Published on 6th November 2015, the green paper "Fulfilling Our Potential: Teaching Excellence, Social Mobility and Student Choice" outlines government proposals addressing the future of higher education.
Consultation on the proposals will run for 10 weeks, closing on 15 January 2016.
The green paper highlights a number of key areas such as:
- introduction of a "Teaching Excellence Framework"
- Increase participation in higher education for those from disadvantaged and under represented groups
- establish a new "Office for Students" to promote student interests and ensure value for money, and to reduce regulatory burden
- next "Research Excellence Framework" proposed by 2021, the paper calls for greater use of metrics alongside the current peer review based exercise
- widening student choice - "quicker access to funding" and "caps on student numbers removed" making it easier for new universities to establish
- there is also provision for how to manage the “exit” of institutions from the higher education market