The call for expressions of interest for the first BISA workshops conference will open in October. This exciting new initiative will be held on May 14-15th at the Edgbaston Park Hotel, University of Birmingham.
The workshops will be an opportunity for groups to come together to discuss and develop projects. Each workshop will have dedicated space at the venue in which to work, and will have access to overnight accommodation, meals and a plenary event. The conference site has room for seven workshops. We envisage each workshop as having 8 - 12 participants. A workshop may involve any of the following:
- the presentation and discussion of papers for an edited volume or journal special issue
- the coming together of an existing research group (for instance, a BISA Working Group, a group working on a collaborative research award or application)
- a writers’ retreat
- a teaching team wishing to workshop changes to curriculum, assessment, feedback and student engagement
- continuing professional development
BISA is also open to suggestions on other themes and formats.
Applications should be made by a potential workshop convenor and should include a summary of no more than two pages A4 of the purpose of the workshop and a list of its participants. Should the workshop be approved, there is no further application process. The submission is done on behalf of the group, in other words, with no subsequent requirement for individual applications.
The workshops’ conference is open to both BISA members and non-members although we require that the convenor is a member of the Association. The subject of the workshop should relate thematically to International Studies or to the career development of scholars working in the discipline. Participants can be drawn from any career stage including PhD students. We encourage convenors to take into account gender balance when constituting their workshop.
The cost for participants is £250 for BISA members and £350 for non-members. PhD students enjoy a reduced rate of £150. The cost includes evening meal and overnight accommodation on the night of May 14th, breakfast on the 15th and lunch on both days.
Key dates and deadlines
- September 2019: further details of workshop application process released
- October 1 2019: application submission period opens
- November 15 2019: submission period closes
- December 21 2019: notification of approved workshops
- January 31 2020: convenors to confirm participants’ details
- March 2020: detailed joining instructions circulated
- May 14-15 2020: workshops’ conference held