1. How much does it cost to join BISA?
See membership rates, all membership dues are paid annually.
2. Am i eligible to join BISA?
To be eligible for BISA membership you need to be working, studying or researching in the field of International Studies or have a particular lay interest in the subject. Find out more about BISA membership here.
3. How do i renew my membership or rejoin the association?
There are a number of options, for members to renew their membership, or to rejoin BISA. More information can be found here.
4. What do i receive as a BISA member?
BISA membership includes online subscriptions to Review of International Studies and European Journal of International Security, plus BISA's online job listing (BISA Jobs Board). You will recieve the monthly newsletter BISA News by email. BISA membership also includes access to attend our Annual conference on payment of the registration fee. Find out more about membership benefits here.
5. When will i receive my journals?
From 2015 all BISA journals will only be available online. Should members wish to continue to recieve the printed issues of the Review of International Studies this will only be available for an additional annual fee payable via your member account online. The new journal EJIS will not be available in hard copy to purchase.
6. I was overseas, on research leave etc and renewed late - what happens now?
Your membership expiration will be moved up and you will not receive back issues of the journal or newsletter, however they are available online for current members.
7. Can I claim tax relief on my BISA membership fee?
Are you a UK tax payer? Did you know that subscriptions paid to BISA are allowable as a fee or subscription to professional bodies or learned societies, BISA is an HMRC approved professional body. It maybe possible to back date your claim for up to 6 years. To enquire about a claim please contact your tax office (not BISA) Further details can be found on the HMRC website.
8. What is a BISA working group & how do i join them ?
Once you are a member of BISA, you can select up to three working groups to join by selecting your favoured groups on the list in your member account. Find out more about the groups here.
9. What is the BISA jobs board?
Not available currently - under construction.
10. I'm going to be moving, how do i change my contact information?
You can change your personal information by logging into the website and updating your member profile. The new contact information will be used from the point that you update your profile.
11. Didn't receive the last issue of Review of International Studies. What do i do?
From 2015 to recieve hard copy issues of the RIS journal, you need to pay an additional fee through your member account. Journals are available free of charge online for all members via their member account on the journals tab. If you have paid the additional fee and have not recieved your journal issues, please email the BISA office on bisa [at] aber.ac.uk, or give us a call on +44 (0) 1970 628672, and we'll request a replacement is sent right away. If you're an international member, remember that it takes the journals about 2-3 weeks to reach you.
12. Now that I'm a member, how can i get more involved in BISA?
Click here for some ideas and suggestions.
13. Does BISA have a refund policy for membership?
Yes. Membership may be cancelled by contacting the BISA office by e-mail at bisa [at] aber.ac.uk, please read the refund policy before making contact with the office.
14. Problems logging into my member account