BISA introduced the Research Workshops in 2015 to mark the 40th anniversary of the Association. We are pleased to announce that up to five funded workshops will be available again in 2018. The workshop funding are available to BISA members to encourage the creation of new and innovative collaborative research. The Workshops are intended to build collaboration between a diverse set of participants, ideally including scholars from different countries/regions of the world and scholars who are at different stages of their careers. Either BISA Working Groups or individuals may apply for a workshop funding, however all workshop applications must contain a single designated contact person.
Eligibility for a workshop funding
- BISA membership
- Eligibility for Workshop funding as with all other BISA funding are a benefit of BISA membership.
- All workshop participants must be willing to become BISA members, if not already, and register for the conference. Participants who do not join BISA and register for the conference will not be eligible to claim travel expenses or participate in the workshop.
- The workshop application can only be submitted by a current BISA member - but other participants do not need to be members at this point but must have commmitted to join the association.
- All workshop participants must be registered for the BISA Conference by the published registration deadlines. Participants who do not meet the conference registration deadlines will be withdrawn from participation in the workshop and will not be eligible to claim any travel expenses.
- Workshop participants can also be participants of the main conference.
- Postgraduate members are eligible to apply for the conference bursaries for workshop attendance.
- The proposed event subject must be within the field of International Studies.
- The workshop must not be part of a series of events (it is a stand-alone event), or part of on-going research or part of a long term research project.
- All workshops will be held on the day immediately preceding the BISA conference at the same conference venue.
Aims & Participation
- Proposals should apply new expertise or innovative/novel approaches to established or emerging research areas
- Proposals should have clarity and focus in the aims and objectives of the topic proposed
- The proposed workshop format will allow well-structured but sufficient in-depth discussion of the topic during time allowed (1 day)
- Proposals should be topical and relevant, include such matters as policy issues, cross national examination of perspectives and be interdisciplinary.
- The workshop should be inclusive and a general call for participants is encouraged via the various social media, group email etc. available through BISA or other associations.
- The workshop should show diversity and balance, participation by PhD students and early career scholars, scholars from different countries/regions of the world is encouraged and pay attention to gender, race and ethnicity.
Deadline for workshop applications 30th October 2017, 4.00pm GMT. Please submit all applications to the BISA office