The purpose of this committee is to discuss, progress and develop ideas surrounding the development, promotion and performance of research and innovation in International Studies and to make recommendations on Research policy to Executive committee.
- Provide governance for the Association's research activities, prizes and funding awards.
- To advise the executive committee on research policy.
- To promote innovation and good practice in the international Studies research community.
- To promote the interests and appropriate representation of the postgraduate research community
- Provide advice with regards to research policy and research development issues.
- Provide advice and assistance in drafting responses to research related consultations.
- Provide a forum for pro-active engagement with research related stakeholders to the benefit of international studies research community.
Working groups/Research networks
- Act as a point of contact between the Association and working group convenors.
- Monitor the activities of working groups and ensure they contribute to the overall Association objectives. (This includes ensuring working groups fulfil the general requirements for existence, considering applications for new working groups and dissolving dysfunctional working groups)
- Consider and approve working group annual reports and funding requests
- Review policies and procedures pertaining to working groups
- Oversee working group events &activities (including Doctoral Symposia, conferences, AGMs, promotional activities and publicity material, social media and websites)
Awards & Prizes
- Oversee the appointment to and workings of the sub-committees concerned with the Michael Nicholson Thesis Prize and Susan Strange Book Prize
- Report the names of the winners to Executive Committee
- Assess and award the annual BISA conference PG bursaries
- Report to Executive committee on the progress with the Awards and inform the Executive committee of any issues that may arise in relation to the nomination and awarding processes.
3. Responsible to:
The main Executive committee
- The composition of the Committee is between 3 and 6 members.
- A majority of the members of the Committee must be members of the Executive committee
- The members of the Committee will be:
- the Executive committee Vice Chair (who will also chair this committee)
- The Executive committee Treasurer
- Chief Executive Officer
- Executive committee members min 3
5. Appointment of Members and Chair
- The members of the Committee are appointed by the Executive committee chair in liaison with the Vice Chair and may be removed at any time by the Executive committee. They are generally appointed to the Committee for an anticipated term of 2 years.
- The Chair of the Committee may arrange for another member of the Executive committee to chair a meeting of the Committee which s/he is unable to attend.
- Members who are unable to attend a meeting may not appoint an alternate.
A quorum for the Committee is half the members of the committee.
7. Notice of Meetings
Meetings of the Committee are arranged by the Chair.
Unless otherwise agreed by the Committee, notice of each meeting confirming:
- the time and date;
- the venue or electronic access arrangements;
- the agenda of the main items to be discussed; are forwarded to each member of the Committee, and to any other person attending, at least 2 working days before the date of the meeting. Supporting papers are uploaded to the drop box and sent to other attendees as appropriate, at the same time or as soon as practicable.
8. Records of Meetings
The Chair of the Committee is responsible for ensuring that brief notes are made of:
- the attendees at;
- the decisions made by; and
- the significant conclusions and action points arising from; the meetings and activities of the Committee.
These are circulated to the other members of the Committee as soon as practicable, and subsequently presented to the Executive committee at the main meeting the following day.
9. Attendance at Meetings
Only members of the Committee have the right to attend Committee meetings. However, other individuals such as other members of the Executive committee, the Chief Executive Officer, other members of staff and external parties may be invited to attend all or part of any meeting as and when appropriate.